Saturday 22 April 2023

Pesky possums!

 Does anyone else have issues with possums? My hubby bought a beautiful (and expensive) dahlia last week and just as well I took a photo of it as the next day all the flowers had disappeared....obviously the possum was eating anything that looked appetising in its path although I didn't know they ate dahlia flowers. 



I had read that possums ate roses but had never heard of dahlias being on their menu. You live and learn.





This is what the plant looked like the next morning. It will bounce back but is under a cover now with the veggies which have already been sampled. Sigh!




Good news though. I have been successful at trying to grow freesias from seed. So far so good.




Another lesson I have learned is that foxgloves don't really die down after they flower which surprised me as I have never grown them before. They do seem to be multiplying somewhat so may need some TLC soon. 




This mauve chrysanthemum is flowering beautifully at the moment. It is so easy to grow from a cutting.



A friend gave me a cutting of this chrysanthemum which has little yellow pom pom like flowers. It needs to go into the garden soon but finding a  empty spot is a bit of an issue as my hubby is growing onions in the front garden and dahlias cover most of the rest of the garden. Then there are the bromeliads, hollyhocks, succulents and whatnot. I am sure I will find somewhere to squeeze it in. 



By the way, the supplier of the 15 litres of coconut oil I bought a few months back sells it for $79 and even with the postage to Queensland it was still the cheapest coconut oil I could find online. 


I have been making a few batches of 100% coconut oil soap lately and in the last batch I added some dried calendula flowers I had saved some time ago. I didn't add aloe vera to this lot though.. just water. Give it a try if you can find some coconut oil on special. It is quick and easy and makes a fairly hard soap. 

We have been having beautiful weather here in SE Queensland which is very nice after the rain and storms of summer. It doesn't take long to get dry in the garden though so a top up of rain would be appreciated. It is great weather for gardeners. 


Have a great weekend and stay well and happy!









10 comments:

  1. Hello from the desert southwest of the US. I live on the edge of the desert and can’t grow any flowers…well if I put screens on all four sides, maybe ;(. I would plant petunias or geraniums (which generally don’t get eaten in the other places I have lived) and I would come out in the morning to stalks just like your photo. Here we have white flies, chipmunks, javelinas, rabbits, birds, and assorted bugs! Hilogene in Az

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear, and I thought the pests were bad here πŸ˜’

      Delete
  2. You’ve had some great successes (along with the oppossom damage ;*/ ). Worm growing freesia from seed is a bonus! They’re so richly-scented. The leaves on the Pom-pom chrysanthemum are perfect and not like any I’ve seen before.
    We have a new iris bulb ready to open its bud and DH just planted some dahlias. Hope the critters leave them alone. The wind has been so strong DH staked the iris stem so it wouldn’t break off.
    Mary in OK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually have to stake the hollyhocks due to the wind. We have hundreds of dahlias in the front garden which the possums have never touched before πŸ€”

      Delete
  3. We caught a rat in our garden, but the evidence is that there are more out there.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have them too as my hubby keeps birds 😏

      Delete
  4. Hundreds of dahlias, that sounds wonderful. We have no problem with possums here at Kandos but they were a pest at my old Blue Mountains home, not so much because they ate the plants but because they liked to get into the heating ducts. I asked the neighbour once if he had a possum problem and he said "Not since you got yours!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your neighbour had a sense of humour. LOL! Chel

      Delete
  5. Hi Chel, I just found your blog again by accident. I'm not receiving them any more since blogger changed things. I'll have to have it added to my reading list. Lovely flowers in your garden. I'm in France visiting my son and grandchildren so not much blogging from me. Best, Pauline HRK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pauline, enjoy your trip. Yes, Blogger seems to have made changes that are beyond me to sort out. πŸ˜’

      Delete

Thanks so much for leaving your comments as I love to hear from my readers. As soon as I check them they will be published. If for some reason you have trouble leaving a comment feel free to email me directly by filling out the 'Contact Me' form on the sidebar at the right.

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...