Sunday 15 December 2013

No-Cook Date, Ginger & Coconut Balls

No-cook nut and fruit balls are very popular in this neck of the woods. They are popular with me as it is hot and muggy and there is no cooking involved to heat up the kitchen and they are equally as popular with the menfolk so, needless to say, they don't last very long. In the recent copy of Australian Healthy Food Guide, there are some recipes for 'No-Cook Bliss Bombs' so I tried one of the recipes today.


The original recipe was named, Ginger & Coconut Balls but I renamed it. The recipe only makes 10 balls so I doubled it. If you would like to make them I will put the recipe at the end of the post.

 
It is an easy-peasy recipe and you just have to cut up everything by hand or in the food processor....
 
 
then wet your hands, press the ingredients into balls and then roll in coconut.

 
I doubled the original recipe and ended up with  22 balls.

 
Then you have something yummy to take along to your next Christmas party which is a little different from Rum and Raisin Balls. 
 
The ginger in these balls really gives them a zing. The recipe required crystallised ginger but I didn't have my glasses on AGAIN and bought glace ginger but I don't think it matters. The next time I make it I will replace the cashews with macadamia nuts as we have them growing....
 

 
...that is if this fellow leaves us any to eat!!!
 
 
No-Cook Date, Ginger and Coconut Balls
 
                                                    2/3 cup pitted prunes,  finely chopped
                                                    1 cup dates, finely chopped
                                                    1/2 cup crystallised ginger, finely chopped
                                                    1/2 cup raisins
                                                    2/3 cup unsalted cashews, finely chopped
                                                    1/2 cup desiccated coconut
 
1. Combine all whole ingredients apart from coconut in a food processor bowl if you don't want to chop them or else combine chopped ingredients in a large bowl.
 
2. It is easier to work with the mixture if you wet your hands then form mixture into balls and squeeze tightly so that the balls hold their shape.
 
3. Then roll the balls in desiccated coconut and place in the fridge to chill for 2 hours or overnight. (However, some of mine were eaten before they even got as far as the fridge)! :-)
 
This recipe makes approx. 22 balls.
 
Try it out and let me know if you like it. Enjoy!
 
 
 
 
 


4 comments:

  1. No cook bliss balls look yum. I always think of making them when I feel like I need to be eating healthier sweets but I will def think of making them on those hot stinky summer days. I don't know anyone personally who grows their own macadamia's! I bet homegrown taste amazing, even the supermarket ones are glorious. How cheeky is your friend perched on that branch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zena we actually have two macadamia nut trees but the cockatoos are really getting stuck into them this year as my husband hasn't been getting up the ladder and picking them so the birds knock them to the ground then fly down and crack the shell and eat the nut. They certainly have strong beaks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look yummy Nanna Chel and I just happen to have all of those ingredients so they are on mist for the weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, they are yummy Tania. Plus I like the fact that they are easy-peasy!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving your comments as I love to hear from my readers. As soon as I check them they will be published. If for some reason you have trouble leaving a comment feel free to email me directly by filling out the 'Contact Me' form on the sidebar at the right.

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...