Wednesday 25 July 2018

Once again ~ Good Onya, ONYA!


Last August I wrote a post called Good Onya, ONYA and I must repeat myself again as I have recently come across some new to me products that are now available. At the time of writing that post last year the War on Waste series had been showing on the ABC and last night the War on Waste: The Battle Continues commenced and it was equally as shocking and motivating.  We had a War on Waste workshop in August last year and, if anyone is interested, Margy has notes with links on the Simple Living Toowoomba website about zero waste, reusable coffee cups etc.



I was interested to read that ONYA now have reusable bread bags which can be taken to the bakery and used to carry your bread home. They will fit over most of the bread slicing machines used in bakeries and are the size of the single use plastic bread bags.


Used with permission:ONYA
They are made from 10 recycled plastic drink bottles and not only can they be used as a carry bag for your bread but for those who bake their own bread they can be used in the freezer after you have cooled and sliced your loaf.


Used with permission: ONYA

  I always slice and freeze my sourdough as I make two loaves at once but not everyone freezes theirs especially if they only bake one loaf at a time. Take at look at the video How it Works Reusable Bread Bags. The roll and clip closure also acts as a handle when shopping.



Used with permission: ONYA

Another great product I hadn't heard of before is the Reusable Bulk Food Bag Set for those who buy in bulk and take jars and containers to the bulk food store to be filled up. You can watch a video about the bags here How it Works Bulk Food Bags Updated.



Used with permission: ONYA

There is a clear window on the bags so that you can not only see what is inside your bag but you can use a whiteboard marker or coloured wax pencil to identify the product. This comes in handy if you are filling up a bag of Self Raising Flour and one of Plain Flour. It is not recommended to use a permanent marker.



Used with permission:ONYA

The bags are available to buy separately. Like the bread bags they are also made from recycled plastic drink bottles but the rPET material in the bags is woven in nature not solid state plastic like the single use plastic bags which are non-permeable for air and water.



Used with permission:ONYA  

They are available in aqua and charcoal and the kit contains a Carry Case, Tote Bag and Small, Medium and Large Bags. I just love the aqua coloured kit. Last year I bought two ONYA Shopping Bags and I use them all the time as they are light and are convenient to carry in a tote bag. The checkout girls often comment on them. I highly recommend ONYA products even though I am not affiliated with them in any way.

So check out the ONYA website and you more than likely will find something there that you will find useful in your household. ONYA also have international shipping for those who don't live in Australia.





Last Saturday our Simple Living Toowoomba group held a Cheesemaking Workshop and Racheal has written some notes about it on the blog Recycled Fabric, Cheesemaking and The Clothesline. There will be notes to follow down the track.



Our presenter, Patricia, bought her cheesmaking supplies from Green Living and their cheesemaking expert, Valerie,  has a number of kits available for sale as well as her book Home Cheesemaking in Australia which I bought a while back. She also has some cheesemaking tips for those who are thinking about branching out into making their own cheese Cheese Making Basic Principles.  
 
I hope this finds everyone happy and well. We are having very warm days even though we are in the middle of winter but I daresay the August winds will start blowing in a few weeks. Please pray for the families of those who perished in the devastating wildfires in Greece. Such a tragedy!
 
 
 
 


5 comments:

  1. I checked the website. They have a nice range of reusable products.
    I like the idea of using a reusable bread bag. I don't have one yet. I do use homemade produce bags, but sometimes use the plastic bags available near the bulk bins.

    Hope you stay cool Chel. It's very hot here too, but that's nothing new in summer. 😊

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look to be great products Chel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just bought an Onya reusable bread bag recently,such a great idea, haven't used it in the freezer yet, I also have the produce bags which are excellent, I've given some as gifts too. The bulk food bags look great too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do like the look of the reusable bread bags Chel. On my list to purchase. I make a couple of sourdough loaves at a time as well so being able to use it in the freezer sounds fantastic. So many positive ways are emerging to deal with the plastic crisis.I did the Green Living cheese making course a few years ago and it was excellent.Pauline

    ReplyDelete
  5. I caught up with the War on Waste via ABC i-view just last night. Just shocking the amount of plastic that gets thrown away every. single. minute. My heart broke to see the river clogged with plastic bottles and the turtles with floating syndrome because they've ingested plastic debris. There are lots of alternatives to plastics, some cost money and some don't. These bread bags look great, Chel, and good that they can be used in the freezer too. Tammy, over at Gippsland Unwrapped, also sewed up reusable bread bags, I think she made them from fabric. Meg:)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving your comments as I love to hear from my readers. As soon as I check them they will be published. If for some reason you have trouble leaving a comment feel free to email me directly by filling out the 'Contact Me' form on the sidebar at the right.

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...