Monday 14 January 2019

A cute thread catcher

I don't know about you but I have a lot of different projects pinned to Pinterest. I am sure I will never live long enough to make half of what I have pinned and, to be honest, I try to stay away from Pinterest as much as I can these days as it is just too fascinating reading about what everyone else is making and not getting around to making anything myself. That said, I did happen to take a 'quick' peek there last week and came across a project that I had pinned quite a while ago which had me intrigued as I couldn't work out how it was made. The time wasting culprit was A Tutorial:The Sweetest Little Thread Catcher. 



So I thought I would give it a try. I had to wait a while though until Pringles were on special as the container is used in this project. Firstly though, I had to eat the chips. Oops! I printed out the instructions and started cutting a 1/2 inch circle from the top as that is what this clever little thread catcher sits inside when it has collapsed.
 


Once all the sewing is done it looks like this so then you just .....





...put in the threads you have lying around when hand sewing and push them to the bottom...





...then hold the top and the bottom which I couldn't do with one hand as I was taking the photo and twist...



...and then push the bottom of the thread catcher up inside the Pringles circle and sit back and admire your work.



It helps though if you watch this very good YouTube tutorial first Collapsible Thread Catcher as
the presenter goes into a lot of detail while sewing. It is a little fiddly at times and made me realise how bad my eyesight can be when working with dark cotton but it all ended up rather presentable in the end although not gift worthy so I might make another one for practice.  

You could make quite a few out of a Pringles container if anyone wanted to make them to sell at a fete etc. I am sure they would be snapped up in no time as they don't take up much space and are very cute. I think they would be suitable to put little earrings in when travelling too as mine are so small I can hardly pick them up to put in my ear lobes as my fingers aren't as flexible as they used to be. 

Hmmm, should I take another peek at Pinterest? :-)

 


16 comments:

  1. Hi Chel, thanks for the lovely pics, that looks very handy.
    I saw a great idea for earings, you pair them through the holes in a big button, easy to find, easy to pack and no tangles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good idea, Margaret.

      Delete
    2. Pretty cool that it is collapsible, great to take to craft group and very handy to also have one near your sewing machine for the many threads and snipped corners etc.

      Delete
  2. It looks lovely and very clever, but isn't it just as easy to pick up the threads and dump them in the bin?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they are meant to be used when away from home when you just want to take your hand sewing out while perhaps waiting for an appointment etc.

      Delete
  3. That looks handy Chel, it looks complicated and it's turned out well. I have a tiny fabric 'bowl' I sit on the arm of my chair when I'm sewing in the lounge room.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was quite intrigued to see how it could be made collapsible. Rather clever.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like the thread catcher Chel. I would use something like that when I am hand-sewing or crocheting squares etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Sherri, I think it would come in handy.

      Delete
  6. Chel I love this handy little thread catcher. Might have to buy some Pringles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jane, I waited till they were on special. I have no idea why they are so expensive as they didn't taste all that great.

      Delete
    2. The reject shop often has them quite cheap. Might have a look there. I agree with you that they dont taste all that good.

      Delete
  7. I never knew there was a thing called athread catcher. LOL
    Years ago I created a Pinterest account and oh my goodness the time I spent there! Finally I decided not to go there anymore .
    It looks like you have to eat lots of Pringles if you want to make more thread catchers. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nil, I try to limit the time I spend there as it is just too tempting. LOL!

      Delete
  8. That's really cute and practical, Chel. I wonder if a sawn-off PVC pipe, would fulfill the same role as the Pringles container? That way you could wash it without worrying the cardboard would dissolve.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving your comments as I love to hear from my readers. As soon as I check them they will be published. If for some reason you have trouble leaving a comment feel free to email me directly by filling out the 'Contact Me' form on the sidebar at the right.

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...