Sunday 10 November 2019

Saying goodbye to 2019 at Simple Living Toowoomba

Yesterday our Simple Living Toowoomba group held the last workshop for the year. Our co-ordinator, Margy, showed how to make some frozen treats to help us cope with the coming heat and then we joined in sharing Secret Santa gifts and had a chat about different topics and what we hope to feature next year.




Margy made some Mango Ice Cream that she gave us the recipe for a few years ago which is very yummy and refreshing.



You can make this if you don't have an ice cream maker. I don't and I usually freeze the mixture and then take it out and beat it again so that it doesn't go too hard. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't though.



Another idea is to add fruit to plain yoghurt in a tray and freeze it. So nice on a hot summer's day. It was a relaxing and chatty morning and a great way to end the year for our  group. 

We have had some really great workshops throughout the year and it is always good to recap. We started off the year in February with the Bag Frenzy workshop presented by the two most wonderful sisters, Neralie and Valda who are excellent and enthusiastic teachers. They have their heads together working on a workshop for 2020 which I am sure will also be top notch. 







This was followed by Asher's Gluten Free-Plant Based Workshop  which was also a hit with those attending. We hope to have Asher back again in 2020.




We had no workshop in April due to the school holidays and in May we learned how to make a Kokedama. Peta gave the presentation and it was extremely interesting.




Jo very kindly offered to do a Mosiac and Leadlighting Workshop and she brought along some of her beautiful leadlighting work. A couple of us went to her place a while later and she showed us how to do mosiac work on stepping stones.




Margy did a great workshop on Visible Mending and brought along the jeans she had embellished which inspired us all to go to the Op Shop and buy some jeans to work on. Mind you, I haven't finished mine ....but I will...of course ;-)




Unfortunately our Lomandra Basket Weaving workshop was cancelled due to the presenter being ill and hopefully we can ask Katie to show us the procedure next year if she is available. 




In September our very own Racheal from Birdsong Market Garden did a presentation on Food Preservation. Over the years we have found that any fermentation workshops we have had are extremely popular and this one was no exception. 




In October Debbie Bassingthwaighte from Optimise Learning spoke about Keeping Backyard Chooks. Debbie has some excellent workshops on her property and is involved in Permaculture Toowoomba Inc. 


So that is it for 2019 and I hope that 2020 is as interesting for our group. Margy now has a business Simple Slow Still and also has other things going on in her life and needs to step back from being co-ordinator of our group so I am going to help out with finding presenters etc. and I am sure the rest of the group will lend a helping hand so that we can continue to meet up and share ideas. 



At the time of writing this there are bushfires burning in Queensland and NSW and many homes have been lost and sadly a number of lives as well. The wind has been really bad in both states but today it has died down somewhat but conditions are expected to worsen on Tuesday so it would be appreciated if you could pray for protection for residents as well as the wonderful fire fighters who put their lives at risk to save houses even though in some cases they lose their own home. 

Stay safe everyone!


6 comments:

  1. I am always envious of these classes that you do, every one of them sounds interesting. I have been having crafternoons once a month where we get a group together and try out some sort of craft. I have been away and it is good to get back and start planning for the next one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw you were back and I meant to comment but I may have been reading on my phone and it is so hard to comment on there. We try to have as much variety as we can but sometimes it is hard to find a presenter for certain workshops but we don't do too badly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really wanted to come to the last meeting for the year, but wasn't well enough. It would've been great to catch up with everyone again. I thoroughly enjoyed the bag workshop by Neralie and Valda, at the beginning of the year though. Plenty of ideas. Such a fun group of people. I'm glad you were able to carry on the torch. Will next years' meetings be held at the same location?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes Chris. We will meet on the first Saturday of the month next year which should guarantee we will have use of the kitchen each month and won't clash with another group. A pity you were unwell.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was lucky enough to go along to the last meeting of the year. I was welcomed and had a wonderful time. Thanks so much for inviting me along. I have already put in an order for an icecream maker for Christmas. I so enjoyed learning about making such tasty and sugar free treats.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The last one of the year is always fairly laid back, Jane. I was so pleased you came along. Next time I will have to get the Allora girls to come too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving your comments as I love to hear from my readers. As soon as I check them they will be published. If for some reason you have trouble leaving a comment feel free to email me directly by filling out the 'Contact Me' form on the sidebar at the right.

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...