Tuesday 15 September 2020

Counting down the days

 Well, who would have thought that the Carnival of Flowers would go ahead in 2020 but, short of an outbreak of COVID-19 in our city in the next few days, it will start on Friday. Visitors to our parks have already started arriving and the weather has been fine and pleasant so far.




As Queens Park is across the road from the Cobb and Co Museum where the Saturday Farmers' Market is held, I often go for a walk in the park after buying my fruit and veggies to see how the Carnival flowers are coming along. By the way if you are visiting Toowoomba next weekend the Farmers' Market will be held on Saturday and Sunday from 7am to 2pm. 




I was hoping to see some of the gardeners at the park to ask when they plant their foxgloves and hollyhocks but they took off before I got the chance to talk to them. 




The colours of the plants are many and varied and there would be something there to please everyone I am sure. 





As the wattle and violet are Toowoomba's floral emblems the colours of Toowoomba are gold and purple as seen in the garden of pansies above. Actually you can usually buy a wattle and violet ice cream at the Picnic Point cafe during Carnival week. 



Good old petunias always make a nice show and are so easy to grow. 




I just love the foxgloves and have bought some seeds to plant when I find out when is the best time to plant them here. 



A few weeks ago my hubby had an angiogram and couldn't garden for a few days so I dragged him along to Laurel Bank Park to see how it was progressing. At that stage it was already obvious what the theme for this year is .....'Family Time'. 


I just love this park as there is always a theme and it isn't as formal as Queens Park so do pay a visit if you are in town over the next few weeks. Of course the park looks more spectacular now than it did when we visited a while back when I took the photos. 



Last year we saw the beautiful double pink hollyhock in the above photo and I was surprised to see it was already flowering a few weeks ago in Laurel Bank Park as my hollyhocks won't be opening for a few weeks yet. I really need to talk to the park gardeners and pick their brains about planting times.  
Personally I will be steering clear of the parks and shopping centres for the next couple of weeks so as to avoid the crowds. However,  as most of the visitors are older people I am sure they will be very mindful of keeping safe and be considerate of others. Most of the indoor events have been cancelled so the parks should be a safe place to visit.

How is everyone going with the Blogger changes? I have just had to revert to the old interface or whatever it is called so that I could add labels to this post  as I couldn't add them in the new version. I really don't like changes in the technology field.


Have a great week everyone!



15 comments:

  1. Thanks for the lovely photos Chel. I was wondering what would be the display at Laurel Bank park this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barb, it looks fantastic when I drive by. When we were there weeks ago the tulips weren't flowering and were netted off for some reason but they would be looking spectacular by now I would imagine.

      Delete
  2. Chel I so wish we could be up there this year but this wont be happening. Thank you for sharing the photographs of the beautiful gardens. Laural Bank Park is my favourite. When we were there last I loved watching the little people on the Thomas the Tank Engine. The gardeners were cleaning out the water garden and had lots of little people helping them. We too will be steering clear of the parks and shopping centres here. The holiday crowds have already started arriving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a shame you can't come down for the Carnival, Jane. Yes Laurel Bank is a fun park. On one of their rare visits to Toowoomba I took my granddaughters there as they were crazy about Thomas the Tank at the time. Now they have two brothers who would just love Thomas as well. Hopefully they can visit before they get too much older. It is a long trek with four children though.

      Delete
  3. My labels have done a disappearing act too Chel. They were there with the new blogger when it first migrated to the new interface but I noticed last week that with any new post they weren't appearing. Maybe next week they will be back again?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sherri I had to revert to the Legacy option to add the labels to this post. They help me to find my own posts 😏 I have no idea either why they can't be added at the moment.

      Delete
  4. The gardens look beautiful as always Chel. Lovely that they are going ahead but what a shame to have to worry about crowds all the time. I have had to revert to the legacy version of blogger at times as well, and now I can add labels but it seems to be a bit tricky each time. I hope they get the issues we are all facing ironed out. Take care, Pauline

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Pauline. I hope so too. I would really like the issue of having to wait so long to be able to reply fixed soon as well. There seem to be quite a few glitches.

      Delete
  5. The gardens are looking spectacular in your photos, Chel. Such beautiful colour! MegXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Meg, the gardeners do themselves proud year after year.

      Delete
  6. The gardens look absolutely wonderful. I envy people who can garden like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joan, the gardeners are very experienced. My garden looks nothing like that 😉

      Delete
  7. It's so nice that the Carnival has still gone ahead in some form vs cancelling altogether. I know this Carnival is worth millions of tourist income to the region. Have a good week. Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy on the news it looked like there were thousands of visitors here. I stayed away from the parks during the Carnival of Flowers 🌹🥀🌺🌻🌼🌷

      Delete
  8. How stunning! I am glad this went ahead. What an effort but joyful... which we need! xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving your comments as I love to hear from my readers. As soon as I check them they will be published. If for some reason you have trouble leaving a comment feel free to email me directly by filling out the 'Contact Me' form on the sidebar at the right.

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...