Tuesday 8 September 2020

Making masks

I have been thinking of sewing some masks for a couple of months now although here in Queensland they aren't mandatory.  A few people in our city do wear them but not a lot although that could change if we saw a change in the number of people becoming infected with COVID-19. If the time comes when it is recommended we do wear them I certainly don't want to wear disposable masks due to the cost and also I don't want to add to the huge numbers of PPE that are already being discarded.




 A friend from Sydney, who has made quite a few masks based on the Craft Passion pattern, sent me one a while back which I quite like as it has a pocket in which a filter can be added. She uses a paper towel folded into four for that but I am not sure if I could breathe with that thickness so will experiment when/if the times comes when I need to wear it.




I had a look online at a few different tutorials and one very comprehensive one was by the Fabric Patch in the US. The owner, Cindi, explains in one of the videos on her website that her business was asked to make masks for nursing professionals due to the lack of PPE at the time. Over a period of time she learned what worked and what didn't and if you are interested in finding out more about mask making I would recommend starting with Video 4 What we've learned after 167,000 masks   before starting with Video 1 as she does make some changes. 

Her masks are based on the Craft Passion pattern which was designed years before the pandemic to wear during dusty, smoky weather etc. and she has made several changes to make it as protective as possible against the virus when there is a shortage of professional PPE.


One of the Jesse Killion templates

The videos do take a while to get through but they are very comprehensive as she has received hundreds of emails asking questions which she answers in her series of videos. She also has a video about the Jesse Killion mask.



With this pattern you can choose the one that suits you best as there are a number of templates for different sizes. You can read more about it here Jessemask.PDF.



There are so many types of masks online that you can choose from if you are keen to sew your own including the fairly popular ones seen above but I don't think they are as protective as the ones on the Fabric Patch.


One of the Homemakers Forum members linked to this type of mask recently so I thought I would give it a try as it looked quick and easy but my Brother sewing machine, which is a toy compared to my old brown Husqvarna, didn't like sewing through all the layers when I was turning in the edges to make the casing for the elastic and it didn't do a very good job. In the video How to sew a medical face mask  Gustavo the presenter uses only two layers but I used three. Of course, if you watch a YouTube video there are lots of other similar videos to watch and I did look at a few about similar masks but I find that I get confused if I have too many choices so will settle for the Craft Passion pattern with the pocket if I need to make more masks as I know that one fits. 


Back in March when we were starting to have restrictions and we had no idea what we were in for, my hubby went to the chemist to buy a disposable face mask for both of us and came home with the last two the chemist had which cost $10 each!!!His plan was to wear his and then put it out in the sun to sanitise it before wearing it again. LOL! I am not sure if he ever tried to put it on and I daresay he can't even remember where it is now. Mine is still in the packet. At $10 a pop it isn't likely to be used unless it is an absolute emergency. 

If you have made your own mask what pattern did you use?



We are in early Spring here in Australia and in our neck of the woods where it is fairly cooler than the rest of Queensland the freesias are flowering and looking beautiful. We have had warm days after cool mornings which I am enjoying before the heat starts up once again. The weather forecasters say we should have above average rainfall during Spring but I think they said that about Winter too so I won't hold my breath. However the garden will be very appreciative of every drop of rain that falls. 

Have a great week everyone. 






8 comments:

  1. Having looked at many patterns for reusable home-made masks, I have finally found one that I really like from ithinksew. It does not have a centre seam (which is safer as a seam could allow virus particles through), but has a pocket for a filter, fits well, and is relatively easy to sew. I am in the process of writing a post about its construction on my blog, but here is a link to the free pattern: https://ithinksew.com/Products/Details/3104

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wendy, I read about that issue of the centre seam and it is addressed in one of the Fabric Patch videos. When they sew the two fabric pieces together they turn the fabric at the centre seam two different ways to solve that problem. Thanks for the link. I will check it out.

      Delete
  2. A very informative post Nanna Chel.

    I use the Craft passion pattern also and have just made another fourteen masks this week. My daughter in Sydney said she wanted some for travelling on public transport when she has to go into work in the city. I will be continuing to make more so I am well stocked for just in case.

    I think I watched that video you referred to and she suggested using something that was not woven, breathable and waterproof and I found that weed mat is all of these, so this is what I use for filters.

    The mask that Wendy recommended looks good! Might have to have a go at making one of those to see how good they are.

    Have a lovely weekend,
    xTania

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tania, I had never heard of using weed mat. That is interesting. Having a mask you can breathe through is so important especially if it has to be on for a while.

      Delete
  3. The disposable masks were horribly expensive in the beginning but are now quite cheap. I bought a box and think that is likely to see us through as we only have to wear them when we go to the city for medical appointments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I noticed Bunnings has heaps of cheap ones but I wanted some that can go into the compost eventually.

      Delete
  4. I still have a stack of surgical masks.
    I’m working from home now, so I only need a mask when going to the store. Still eventually I’ll have to sew some. I’m going to save your post. Thanks Chel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nil, it can bet confusing as there are so many types of masks on YouTube etc. but I think the information given by The Fabric Patch is worth listening to as they have made so many masks this year.

      Delete

Thanks so much for leaving your comments as I love to hear from my readers. As soon as I check them they will be published. If for some reason you have trouble leaving a comment feel free to email me directly by filling out the 'Contact Me' form on the sidebar at the right.

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...