Monday 3 January 2022

Getting organised

 Seeing as it is a new year I thought I had better get motivated and do some organising otherwise the year will be gone before I know it. I thought I would start with the lace I have been storing for years. Some of it is handmade lace which I really have no idea what to do with but don't feel right about giving it to Vinnies as I think it may have been given to me by someone in my hubby's family about forty or so years ago. Anyway, it looks nice and neat at the moment and perhaps I will decide what to do with it during the year. 


If anyone needs a bit of extra motivation to get organised for the year then check out Rhonda's 'The Simple Home' . I don't think she is blogging anymore as she is busy with caring for her hubby but she is on Instagram if you go there. 






She goes through the year month by month to help with getting organised. 



There is a UFO craft challenge on The Homemakers' Forum to help us to finish off some of the craftwork we have started recently or a long time ago so I am finishing off a loom knitted scarf I started last year. It takes much longer to knit a scarf than the beanies which I made for the homeless for winter so I might just stick to beanies for a while so that I feel like I am making some headway. 




I know I am not alone in that my homemade soap 'sweats' when the weather is really humid. I have been reluctant to give it to a person who has never made soap as many non-soapers don't realise that there is a difference between homemade soap and that which is sold in the shops that has had the glycerin stripped. I wondered what would happen if I wrapped the soap in fabric and put it in a bag which was tied very tightly. I found FoxInkCo on Etsy when I did a search for biodegradable clear bags and found some plant-based cellulose bags which hopefully will do the trick. 




The bromeliads are starting to bounce back after severe frost damage and then the shredding done by the hailstorm we had a few weeks ago. Some even have pups which is encouraging. I have no idea why they are called 'pups'. LOL!


Some are looking quite stunning - in parts!




One lone red hollyhock has decided to flower... in summer mind you! I am sure it won't last long with the days heating up this week but hopefully I will be able to harvest some seeds. 




I have no idea what these flowers are called but they appear after we have had a lot of rain. Does anyone know the name? Unfortunately I think I pulled a lot of them out on the other side of the path when I was getting rid of some bulbs I didn't like as these weren't flowering at the time. Oops!

I wish everyone a blessed New Year and I hope that it will bring you much happiness and good health! 



12 comments:

  1. Happy New Year, Chel!

    I have seen people use embroidery hoops to frame beautiful lace pieces and doilies.

    (I think I can comment using my laptop, but not with the iPad. It's strange.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nil, perhaps it is an Apple/Microsoft conflict. I have given up trying to work out why it takes ages for my sidebar to download. Technology πŸ™ƒ

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. You are most welcome πŸŒΉπŸ’πŸŒΌ

      Delete
  3. Thanks for sharing, I think the bulb flowers are Zephyranthes robusta (Pink Rain Lily).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for letting me know. Much appreciated.

      Delete
  4. Happy new year to you, Chel! Those flowers are just amazing! Just had a quick check in of the forum and saw some familiar names there. Hope you are well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diann Happy New Year to you too. Would be nice to see you on the forum again 😏 Stay safe 😷

      Delete
  5. I love the pink rain lillies Chel, and the Bromsjust keep bouncing back don't they? Beautiful lace is so precious now, and I have seen it used very effectively in clothing as well. Happy New Year, hoping it's happy and healthy for you. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pauline, I hope you don't get any bad weather with that cyclone forming up north but it looks like it is heading for the NT. I was looking at the damaged broms today and lots of them have pups peeking out underneath 😁

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy new year, Chel. Your garden looks particularly well, despite some of the extremes of weather lately. I've been trying to get the garden organised, so I can maintain the footpaths. That grass sure likes to grow this year! Which despite the extra work to maintain, makes for a delightful change. I like seeing green and flowers popping, when I look out my back door.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chris, I am glad we bought a battery operated mower as now I can mow each week to keep the grass low enough. It is growing like crazy...like the jolly weeds 😩

      Delete

Thanks so much for leaving your comments as I love to hear from my readers. As soon as I check them they will be published. If for some reason you have trouble leaving a comment feel free to email me directly by filling out the 'Contact Me' form on the sidebar at the right.

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...