Monday 6 January 2020

Home again!


Well, it is back to the routine once again as I arrived back home on Friday after a few wonderful days with my daughter and her family in Townsville where they were holidaying. It was lovely to see my grandchildren once again and, of course, they have grown like weeds since I saw them. The weather was perfect if a tad muggy at times but mostly we were inside in the aircon or walking along The Strand in the shade of all the trees along there. This is the first time I have been to Townsville in summer as normally I would visit in winter when my girl was studying there. I had been warned about the humidity there in summer but it wasn't too bad. 



The clouds were building up as I left and it is hoped that there will be rain soon which apparently may spread down south which is on fire at the moment. It is cyclone season so hopefully they will fire up but not do too much damage in populated areas and bring much needed rain to our parched and tinder dry country. 



The day after I arrived a visit to Reef HQ Aquarium  was just the thing to get out of the heat as the children absolutely love visiting there. It is a little like Underwater World at Mooloolaba which is now called Sea Life Sunshine Coast




 There is a lot to see there including Oscar who was a resident until he died in the 1990s after choking on a fish bone! That's true!




My oldest grandson just loves this diver's helmet. It goes up and down to fit the height of the child (or adult) who would like a photo taken. 




There are a number of art works along The Strand including this one just near the jetty which I believe is called Ocean Siren. It reacts to the current water temperature from the David Reef weather station which the statue is facing and during the day it looks like the above photo...





...but at night the colour changes are obvious and much of the time we were there it was blue...




..but it did turn yellow/red for just a few seconds before it went back to blue while we were watching.  My son-in-law and I were convinced it was turning but apparently it stays still. 




Along The Strand were Bazz...



...and Schazz. Not sure about the spelling though. 




Then there was the solar-powered bin on one of the busy streets which I found very interesting.




This is the solar panel on the top. I have never seen these before. 





Years ago when I visited the Tropics there were bottles of methylated spirits along the beach to be used in the case of a jellyfish sting but these days the treatment is vinegar. You wouldn't want to get stung though and I wouldn't go into the water there in summer even if there are stinger nets...




...but hopefully the rock pool is safe as there were lots of swimmers in there.




On Thursday we visited the Museum of Tropical Queensland which is a great place to spend a few hours if you have children or even if you don't as there are lots of interesting things to do there including posing for a photo with your body cut off like the one of my youngest grandson above. You just have to fit in the hole behind the glass. LOL! The Science Centre is just fascinating and I really enjoyed spending time there as did a lot of other adults. 




I was really chuffed to meet up with the very talented Jenny from Jenny of Elefantz who gave me a lovely teatowel and pincushion. Jenny has a beautiful blog and is on Facebook and Instagram so there are a few places where you can see her gorgeous work. She is a real sweetie.




Then it was time to go home and you know you are in Cowboy country when a whole section of the Townsville airport is dedicated to Cowboy merchandise.




Ten minutes out of Townsville the view out the window was of green paddocks and I am not sure what was growing...


...but as we flew south it got drier and drier and in the end I stopped taking photos as it was too upsetting. As we flew over the Darling Downs it was just a dust bowl. Our poor farmers are doing it tough as are the little country towns and the ones down south in the firezones must be devastated to have been wiped out by the dreadful fires. 

All Aussies I have spoken to are really distressed by the ferocity of these fires and want to help in any way possible and there are a number of charities who are taking donations so if you want to help check out this website Bushfire Donations.

If you are not familiar with Annabel's blog The Bluebirds are Nesting then do have a read of her latest post in which she describes what it is like to have a fire heading for one's property and how she had prepared beforehand and what she would change in future in light of what happened. 

Stay safe everyone!


12 comments:

  1. We used to have friends who lived in Townsville, Chel, and when we visited we took our then 4year old boy to the aquarium. He loved it! It would've been a lovely cool place to visit with your grandchildren. I have flown north to Cairns a few times this year and the dry, brown view upset me too. These rains have to come soon! MegXx

    ReplyDelete
  2. The aquarium is a great place to spend the day and get out of the heat as is the museum. Yes, we know it will rain eventually but soon would be good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We visited Townsville a number of years ago and loved the aquarium too. We managed to get 11 ml last night (in Central West NSW) off the stream coming down from the cyclone in WA, and there is a possibility of more tonight, so hopefully things are beginning to change. Also, I believe that the Dipole in the Indian Ocean has moved to neutral, which is also a good sign.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wendy, so pleased you got some rain. I hope you are safe from the fires there. There was some light rain in Townsville the day I left but it was as dry as a bone when I got home. Hopefully rain will be on the way soon and will put out the fires 🔥

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you enjoyed Townsville Chel, we have family up there and regularly visit the area. To be honest, I quite liked living in Townsville and wouldn't mind living back up there again, although the heat would get to me now I am getting older.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wouldn't mind living near the Strand due to the sea breeze but I would be worried if there was a cyclone brewing. Of course it would cost an arm and a leg to live so close to the water but it is nice for a visit and I just love being able to take a walk each day before it gets too hot as there is shade from the trees. The Coffee Club and the two shops beside the cafe are always packed so it is a popular venue.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Townsville looks like an amazing place Chel. I have not been that far north yet but it is in our plans for future travel.

    How very fortunate for you to meet up with Jenny, I can imagine that she is a beautiful person in real life, as she is on her blog. I loved watching her couple of videos recently.

    So much of Australia is in drought. I was thinking we were dry here, but other areas are suffering also. I think our government need to pull their heads in and manage our water better. It is so very important to Australia.

    xTania

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am sure you will love Townsville, Tania but it is a good idea to visit there in the cooler months once the weather returns to normal and they go back to their hot muggy summers. I didn't find it too bad where I stayed near the Strand due to the sea breeze but it is hotter in the suburbs away from the ocean I believe. Yes, Queensland is very dry too and has been for quite some time. We hope the fires don't return as they started here early in the season when it was still cold down south. Stay safe there in SA.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lovely time you had Chel. We lived there for 10 years in the late 70s and 80s, had our babies there and I worked in the public library prior to them being born. They were good years but it was very dry then and everyone was sinking water bores. That would be sugar cane you saw from the air I think. When we visit Townsville now though it has changed so much,I still feel a coonnection but haven't seen all of the sculptures you photographed.Enjoyed hearing about your trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pauline, I believe more water features are in the pipeline and also something underwater near a reef. It certainly is lovely along The Strand...my favourite part of Townsville.

      Delete
  10. The fires just south of Townsville were likely cane trash fires. The farmers cleaning up the cut cane stubble before preparing the soil for the next crop. You must have been lucky and missed the worst of the humidity, its a lovely place but air conditioning is a must. Cheers Erin

    ReplyDelete
  11. Erin, I couldn't imagine living up there without aircon. I got through two nights without it but had to turn it on to cool the motel room down the last night as I had the windows locked because I was by myself.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving your comments as I love to hear from my readers. As soon as I check them they will be published. If for some reason you have trouble leaving a comment feel free to email me directly by filling out the 'Contact Me' form on the sidebar at the right.

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...