Monday 13 April 2020

An Easter like no other


Easter 2020 is almost over here in Australia and, like the media warned us over and over again,  it was to be an Easter like no other. I do believe that a number of fines were given out in Queensland  to some people violating the current social distancing measures....$660,000 worth in actual fact.... but I am sure that most Queenslanders did stay home as was recommended by the authorities to prevent the spread of the Corona virus.



 However, I did have to pick up a few groceries on Thursday before Easter started and paid a quick visit to our major shopping centre that was quite busy in the section near the supermarket but...




....elsewhere it was practically deserted.




Social distancing signs were everywhere including on the door of all the shops although the majority of them are now closed.




Woolworths was busy as usual but workers are now counting how many go in and out of the store as numbers inside are restricted. Powdered milk was nowhere to be found not that I needed any but did pick up some fresh milk.




Thankfully the weather has cooled down and it is nice to be able to do some gardening without getting fried. The dahlias are nearly finished flowering but the gerberas are still looking lovely...




...as are some of the bromeliads with their stunning red flowers. 




One of my favourite roses, Esmeralda, has more than once cheered me up during this difficult time. I love seeing how the colours change over a period of a couple of days as the rose goes from pink to purple. We all need something to cheer us up don't we?



I thought the supermoon during the week was going to be orange but it wasn't. The sky was very cloudy but the clouds did part for a couple of minutes so I could get a shot. 

...........................................................

Just for my own sake and perhaps for anyone from overseas who is interested in what is happening in Australia at the moment as regards the Corona virus, I thought I would just add on to my posts a little of what is happening at the moment as things are happening so fast that it is hard to keep up with everything and I am sure I will forget down the track.

It was only three weeks ago yesterday that our Prime Minister announced that at midday the following day all non-essential services were to close down. That included churches, restaurants, cafes, pubs and gyms for starters which suddenly put thousands of people out of work. The government has since spent billions trying to keep the economy going and help out workers financially but I am sure that many families still aren't able to pay their mortgage and bills. 

Many of the people infected with the virus have been on cruise ships or have returned from overseas so currently those who return to Australia are put into mandatory isolation in hotel rooms for 14 days. Today it was announced that Queensland schools will only be open for children of essential workers and for vulnerable students till at least the 22nd May. The others will start remote learning which will be interesting for those families who don't have a reliable internet connection or unlimited data. 

Sadly 61 people have lost their lives due to the virus here in Australia and that is such a tragedy for their families. However, it pales in comparison to the death toll of some other countries and it should serve as a reminder to us that this is a very highly contagious virus and to take it seriously and stay home as much as possible. 

However, despite the doom and gloom around especially on TV, I hope that everyone is finding some joy in their lives as we all look forward to returning to normality down the track although I do think that 'normal' is really only a setting on a washing machine. LOL!



8 comments:

  1. LOL that last line is a ripper!
    Yes it was a weird Easter but we are doing OK compared to some places. That rose is a beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes we are doing so well compared with the UK and the US and other countries. Let's hope it stays that way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not sure what the new normal is going to look like.

    Its like someone has pushed the pause button and it got stuck!

    Our lives are forever changed I think.

    Your flowers are beautiful Nanna Chel.

    xTania

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tania, I don't think this will be over for a long time. Not until a definite cure is found or a vaccine has been tested which takes time. We are in very testing times.

      Delete
  4. Yes Easter was very quiet and my kids now teenagers not putting out a note for the Easter Bunny completely forgot what day it was...I did too when I thought Saturday was Sunday and Sunday was Monday so they were pleasantly surprized to be getting Easter Eggs on Sunday morning. As each week goes by I get more nervous going to the supermarket and only go once a week. At least Australia is doing well [except for the Ruby Princess issue] however hopefully people will not jump the gun and want to get back to normal before we are out of the woods. Stay safe and have a good week. Kathy, Brisbane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy, since retiring I have had a dreadful time of trying to remember what day it is and when holidays like Easter come around that really throws me out. Yes, I hope things don't get worse here but I will be very pleased when it is over. I miss going to the library 😳

      Delete
  5. We tried to see the supermoon Chel, but it was too cloudy here. What a shame. But I did get to see your snapshot, of it, and wasn't expecting that. So thanks. Love the flowers in your garden. While it has dropped in temps here (compared to a few weeks ago) we're still getting close to 30 degrees C, during the day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chris, that photo of the supermoon was taken around 11pm. I just had a short time to take a photo before the clouds covered it again but I was surprised it wasn't orange. It is cool here at night now but I believe it is going to be a warm winter....again.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving your comments as I love to hear from my readers. As soon as I check them they will be published. If for some reason you have trouble leaving a comment feel free to email me directly by filling out the 'Contact Me' form on the sidebar at the right.

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...