Saturday 18 April 2020

Now to finish all those UFOs

Now that we all have to stay home for the foreseeable future there really is no excuse for many of us who don't have children at home to finish off all those UFOs that we have promised ourselves we would get around to 'one day'. Well...I told myself a few days ago...today is the day! I had started ripping up strips of fabric months ago in preparation to make some scrap fabric bunting but something came along that needed my attention urgently so the fabric was packed away in a drawer.




Silly me thought this method would be quicker and easier to make use than the bunting which our talented presenters had sewn in our first Simple Living Toowoomba workshop of the year which was about Bunting and Bucket Hats . I admit I was wrong as measuring and ripping all those strips was time consuming and in the end I cut some with my rotary cutter. Thankfully it is nearly finished. It is very long as the window I am draping it across is an internal window which used to be on the outside of this old house before the enclosed back 'verandah' was built on. Hanging a curtain there makes the rooms too dark.



As it was looking a little messy due to the ripped strips I finished off the bottom of them with my rounded pinking shears which I used for the first time.




I had a Spotlight voucher a few years ago which paid for them so I was happy with that but have never had occasion to use them before now. They do make for a nice edge though and I kind of wish I had cut all the strips with the shears as well but that would have been an even bigger job. So that is one UFO almost out of the way. The next job is to finish off a loom knitted beanie that I started a couple of weeks ago as it is going to get cool here soon and will come in handy to give to one of our charities that looks after homeless people. 




Unlike several other countries we have been very fortunate here in Australia that our death rate of 63 didn't change for a number of days but I read today that sadly 65 people have now lost their lives. So much sadness for their families. Also, due to the social distancing rules now in place there are a lot of grandparents out there who aren't able to hug their new grandchild or visit their grandchildren which must be so difficult for them. I rarely see my grandchildren anyway as they live so far away but I know a lot of grandparents see theirs each week.




Also only 10 people are allowed at a funeral which is another hardship and the limit of only 5 people at a wedding has resulted in many being cancelled until after restrictions have been lifted.




TV shows like Jamie Oliver's Keep Cooking and Carry On have become very popular here in Australia as many households now seem to be eating meals cooked from scratch which can only be a good thing. I found his recipes on his website Keep Cooking and Carry On and will try some of them out as I tend to cook the same meals all the time. I must have other talents as cooking is not my forte unlike talented cooks like Pauline from Happy Retiree's Kitchen.




As Term 2 approaches next week Queensland students will be studying from home via remote learning apart from vulnerable children and children of essential workers. Of course not all schools are equal and I know that my grandchildren in the Outback don't have a device each to do school work at home nor the internet capability and data that is required for them to study online so I think they will be having hard copies of their classes printed out.




It is beyond me how people are supposed to work online from home and have their children in the house at the same time trying to do school work without being interrupted. Perhaps it would work if  all the children were older but throw into the mix a two year old like my  grandson who is not a school student and the mind boggles. 




While my lifestyle as a retiree hasn't changed all that much since the self isolation guidelines came in, I do miss being able to go out and meet my friends, go to church as well as teach English to my Yazidi student. I hate to think how much English she is forgetting as she knew practically no English when I started teaching her. I can't even ring and talk to her as she wouldn't understand anything I said as she had just started being able to write her name and address and learn the alphabet and numbers when volunteer teachers were told to cancel lessons. I daresay face to face lessons won't resume next term and there is no way she could learn online. 

So we just take it day by day and try to be careful when going out to buy groceries and anything else that is essential. I do miss the library being open though as I only have two books left to read. I should have borrowed more than 15 before they closed as I did have the CEO's library card to use but I couldn't carry any more :-) 

Enjoy what is left of the weekend everyone!


16 comments:

  1. Chel it is good to hear that you and the CEO are toddling along. We like you have not been overly impacted with the isolation.
    It will mean no caravanning adventure this year. We weren't going to be going away anyway as our daughter is getting married in June. At this point two parents miss out on attending. Just maybe the restrictions will have eased by that time. We can hope.
    Bluey and I are getting on with life and just doing what we need to do. It will be nice to be able to catch up with friends and family. I am looking to give my family a hug. Stay safe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jane, I think it will be quiet on Qld roads this winter with all the nomads staying home. I do hope all goes well for the wedding. I know a lot have been cancelled this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your bunting and blooms look very pretty, Chel. I agree with you in that it could be a really challenging time for some families as they juggle working from home, caring for very young children and also supporting school aged children with learning at home. I hope everyone has some flexibility and patience with one another as this all begins tomorrow. Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meg, as far as my daughter knows she won't be getting hard copies of school work as they have a computer in the house. One computer between three school aged children...how will that work I wonder? I guess she will find out tomorrow.

      Delete
  4. Chel I'm really looking forward to seeing a photo of your hanging bunting. I love this idea, it requires no sewing, (I'm not a fan of dragging out the machine) and I know it's going to look fabulous. Thanks for the inspiration. We're fortunately not greatly impacted by isolating, thankful we're at this stage of our lives and almost self sufficient in food. Sally XX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sally, this bunting would be good for those who don't want to bother sewing or who can't. It is just a little time consuming but is a good way of using up fabric scraps,

      Delete
  5. I didn't know there was such a thing as rounded pinking shears. They do create a nice scalloped edge.
    I guess there are some things I am missing at the moment due to the current restrictions, such as going out to breakfast or lunch, but aren't we blessed that this didn't happen back in the 80's or early 90's before we could use technology to keep in touch and keep ourselves occupied.
    I think finishing some UFO's is a great idea. I have returned to my crochet project. I am also keeping cupboards and drawers more organised than I usually do. I have also gone through my recipe folder and ditched some recipes that I will never cook and reorganised the rest.
    I am not working from home but do speak to a few people through my work who are working from home. They are finding some benefits that come through the new working arrangements that they will miss when we return to the former way of doing things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sherri, there are lot of good 'side effects' of this self isolation as well as some bad but I think some families feel more connected now as they aren't running around so much. I still do procrastinate even though I am home a lot and keep putting off doing some things. I really have no excuse not to do them ;-)

      Delete
  6. Are all of those flowers in your garden, they are beautiful. At this point there is no hardship for us - I shop fortnightly instead of weekly, do telehealth when I can, watch instead of attending church. But I realise that for some people the situation must be horrendous. Even in a big house when I worked from home I disliked having visitors because they interrupted me, I can only imagine what chaos a two year old could create and how small an apartment must be feeling by now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, those flowers are from our garden. The dahlias are now dying off and the chrysanthemums are starting to flower so there is always a bit of colour at this time of year. Yes, it would be dreadful to live in some places like an apartment building with no yard for the children to get out and play in.

      Delete
  7. A lovely post to read as always Chel, and I am intrigued by your bunting idea. I must pursue how to do that, although I do like sewing. I didn't know there were rounded pinking shears either, I only have the normal ones. Also thanks so much for the compliment about my cooking blog, it's great to know I have one fan, LOL. What a balancing act this isolation is eh, we seem to have so many projects on the go now. My hubby just doesn't stop, I'm not complaining mind you, but aren't we lucky we can cook.I must catch up on Jamie Oliver's new series though, I really enjoy his programmes and always learn a lot. Oh and beautiful photos as always. Take care and keep well, the weather must be cooling down nicely in Toowoomba now. Pauline

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pauline, it is going down to 6C overnight which will be a bit of a shock after so many warm nights but it will then go back to a minimum of 15C by Wednesday. The days are mainly quite warm which is very pleasant.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your bunting and flowers are beautiful.

    Can you download e-books from the library, Chel? My library uses two apps - Libby and Kindle - for e-books.



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I could, Nil. It is just that I prefer to hold a book rather than read on a screen. I might have to adapt though if this self isolation keeps going too long.

      Delete
  10. I just discovered on our library website that locals have access to the library version of Ancestry.com. A pity I didn't notice that before.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving your comments as I love to hear from my readers. As soon as I check them they will be published. If for some reason you have trouble leaving a comment feel free to email me directly by filling out the 'Contact Me' form on the sidebar at the right.

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...