Wednesday 29 August 2018

Alice's Wonderland Science Exhibition

The book written by  Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland, is one that I have never read as it seemed a tad too bizarre for me even though I know it is very popular. Recently some friends and I ventured through the Alice's Wonderland Science Exhibition in our local Cobb and Co Museum and we actually found it to be very interesting.


 It is a hands-on exhibition that brings basic science concepts to life for 3 to 8 year olds as well as their families.





 The children are encouraged to explore the way they perceive as well as make sense of the world around them in this exhibition.












 There are a series of educational exhibits which introduce optics and illusions, maths, physics as well as word play.





Each different activity introduces the children to a range of literacy, numeracy and science concepts in a playful and delightful way.




 The exhibition is a nationally travelling one presented by Museums Victoria. 




Entry is free for locals but there is a cost for visitors. As the museum is also home to the National Carriage Collection as well as the Energy for Life Discovery Centre it is well worth setting aside a few hours to take a look at all that is on offer. Then you can stop and have a cuppa or a light lunch in Cobb's Coffee Shop.




You might like to visit the museum if you happen to be in our city for the Toowoomba Carnival of Flowers which runs from 21-30 September or during the Lost Trades Fair which will be held on the 6th and 7th October. You may have seen my blog post on the latter from last year. 

It is going to be a hive of activity around here soon but if you can't make it to the museum for a few months the Alice's Wonderland exhibition runs until the 28th January 2018 which I imagine would be at the end of the school holidays in Queensland. 










4 comments:

  1. I saw this on the news this evening, quite interesting. Love the tea set.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh looks so interesting! I loved Alice in wonderland! I recently re-read “The lion the witch and the wardrobe” by CS Lewis as an adult and it was totally different to how I remember i as a child. As an adult having studied CS Lewis as a theologian the cross over of theology into his famous and beautiful children’s book was fascinating. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never read it either and none of my kids seem to want to. We watched the movie and only of my children like it. But what a neat place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's great how children and families can visit thee types of exhibitions to bring science and maths alive for them. I also think it is a very smart initiative that locals have free admission. There needs to be more of that to encourage them to take visitors to these places. You have a lot of activities to visit soon Chel. Enjoy. Pauline

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving your comments as I love to hear from my readers. As soon as I check them they will be published. If for some reason you have trouble leaving a comment feel free to email me directly by filling out the 'Contact Me' form on the sidebar at the right.

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...